What is the Athlete Development Program?
The Athlete Development Program (ADP) supports student athletes by linking classroom learning and sport. The long-term, select entry program, offers student athletes full time access to highly skilled staff and coaches, working closely together to shape their sporting pathway.
The integrated program, combining sport and academics, aims to support students in developing a range of skills through tailored specialist coaching to develop high-level skills for their sport of choice.
The program encourages students to find their best, both through their sport of choice and in the classroom. Shaping and supporting students’ passions, academic progress, behavioural expectations and efforts through the program is a key focus for all staff for staff and students.
In 2021, the ADP will offer the following sports:
- Athletics (Track & Field)
- Football (Soccer)
After successfully operating at Bendigo South East College, the ADP has been expanded to include students from Bendigo Senior Secondary College, Crusoe College, Eaglehawk Secondary College and Weeroona College Bendigo. This aligns with the Bendigo Education Plan vision of schools working together to give young people equal access to quality programs, facilities and opportunities.
The ADP is dedicated to providing student-athletes with a specialised training and development environment while placing equal emphasis on supporting their academic and personal efforts required to reach their goals.
What is the selection and criteria for applying to the ADP?
To be eligible for selection, students must satisfy criteria relating to physical fitness, sport aptitude, attitudes to learning, behaviour and effort.
To apply for the ADP, students must:
- Be enrolled at Bendigo South East College, Crusoe College, Eaglehawk Secondary College or Weeroona College Bendigo for the year of commencement
- Register your interest through the Expression of Interest form below
- Submit a completed application form by July 31st 2020
- Attend selection trial(s) as required
How can I apply to the ADP?
Admission into the program is select entry. Selection is based on:
- the applicant’s previous school-year report
- a character reference
- physical testing
- sport squad assessment.
Staff across all colleges will coordinate admission, testing and delivery of the program. All selected athletes must sign up to the Student Athlete Agreement.
If you meet the above criteria and are interested in applying for the Athlete Development Program for 2021, we’d love to hear from you, using the form below.
What Is the Bendigo Education Plan?
The Victorian Government is committed to transforming education, giving young people the support they need to become successful learners and equal opportunity to develop the skills, knowledge and capabilities they need to thrive in the 21st century.
The Bendigo Education Plan was launched in 2018 to deliver that vision. It brings together representatives from early childhood, primary and secondary schools, higher education, industry, community, government and social services to develop new ways to:
- ensure students have equal access to quality programs, facilities and opportunities
- build teacher and educator capacity so they can support Bendigo students to aim higher and achieve more
- strengthen support for children and young people as they transition through different stages of their learning – from kindergarten, to primary, to secondary and beyond
- collaborate with families, carers, community and industry, so they become more engaged in the learning and development of local students.
The Plan was developed through community engagement, departmental data and education experts. It builds on an earlier initiative that focused on improving local secondary education.
For further information go to: https://www.adp.vic.edu.au/
For queries around the Athlete Development Program please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For queries around the Bendigo Education Plan please email: email@example.com